Sailing resumed on the Manning River after WW2. When the VJ Club was established in 1947 it occupied the North Coast Steam Navigation Company wharf.1 They shared this space with the VS’s and 16 footers. Around 1952, Clive Woollcott purchased the wharf, the fisherman’s co-operative set up there and it became a little crowded. Then, the 16 footers folded and the VS club moved to the present Taree Aquatic Club (Sailo’s) site at 1 Macquarie Street, Taree in 1950.2 VJ president Don Solomon approached Brian Ivens about using an old army igloo as a clubhouse. It served the VJ club for many years but it had no foundations and sadly washed away in the 1954 flood.3
President Don Solomon and Taree Mayor Ald M. M. Hooke launched a public appeal to fund a new VJ Clubhouse on the same site adjacent to the Martin Bridge. The North Coast Steam Wharf was demolished around this time freeing up some land. Taree builder, Albert Hayter laid the foundations and did the brickwork, charging only for labour. His gesture was worth $1,400.4 The Manning River Aquatic Association donated $600 and the local sawmillers provided the timber. H Nelson and sons provided the roofing iron at cost.5 The new VJ club was a gift from the people of Taree.
Author: Phillip Solomon
VJ: Vaucluse Junior
VS: Vaucluse Senior
1 Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of NSW, 22 February 1947, 1.
2 Northern Champion, 22 July 1950, 6.
3 Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of NSW, 22 February 1954, 1.
4 Northern Champion Hospital Supplement, 13 September 1957.
5 Based on words of remembrance by Rex Solomon at Wally Humphries funeral service; News Flashback-1953, MRT 2014 (no specific date); Manning River Times, October 1970.