For two separate Councils to occupy premises in the same regional town is not unheard of, but to occupy space just across the hallway in the same building … now that is unusual. However, this is what happened in Taree.
In 1927 work started on the construction of new premises for the Bank of New South Wales. Designed by Lismore architect Mr F J Board,1 this was centrally located on the south eastern corner of Manning and Victoria Streets, a site previously known as Clerke’s Corner.2 Included in the development, and accessed via a separate entrance from Victoria Street, was a single storied addition specifically designed to meet the accommodation requirements of both the Manning Shire Council and Taree Municipal Council.3
Both Councils moved into this new building in December of 1927.4
Sadly, the imposing two storied section of the development occupied by the Bank of New South Wales has been demolished. However, the former Council offices still stand, (extreme left of photo) having been purchased by Fred Martin in 1993 and renamed the Wesley Chambers in honour of the renowned local cricketer John Wesley Martin who had worked there.5
This building is now listed as a local Heritage Item.
Author: Penny Teerman
1 Manning River Times Saturday 29 January 1927 Page 6 Mainly About People
2 Manning River Times Saturday 4 September 1926 Page 8 Progressive Taree
3 Manning River Times Saturday 24 December 1927 Page 11 More Taree Progress
4 Manning River Times Saturday 17 December 1927 Page 8 Councils Removal
5 Cricket in the Manning 1893-2015 by Les Eastaway (privately published)