For many years there stood near the junction of the Karuah River, a large house surrounded by flowers and fruit trees. It was built by the late Captain Griffin, who reared a large family therein. During later years the house was occupied by various tenants, but all vacated the premises, owing to being nearly scared to death by strange phenomena and visitations. The form of a woman minus a head was seen by various persons. Sometimes she would appear at midnight, standing by a bedside, at other times she would be observed walking outside, and at others the doors that were securely fastened, would open and she would be seen standing in the doorway. In the dead of night footsteps would be heard, doors open and shut that had been locked before the inmates retired. Strangers who knew nothing of the reputation of the place, and who took refuge from the rain in the empty tenement, were frightened as well. Old hands maintain that a young woman was murdered there, and the body buried in that lonely secluded region, which is miles away from any neighbour. A highly reputable resident assures this scribe that the daughter of one of the tenants dug up some bones, but reburied them, and kept the matter quiet. Persons driving at night assert that they have seen this apparition, and their horses have bolted.1
From the Dungog Chronicle, 6 October 1914. Submitted and edited by Robyn Witt.
1 Dungog Chronicle, 6 October 1914.