Since 1908, Maud Elizabeth Williams had conducted a successful tea room in Church Street. She was a confectioner, fruiterer and pastry cook who offered light refreshments at any hour and provided private rooms for ladies. She was also an agent for Columbia Graphophones and the Talking Machine Company’s Gramophone and invited people to her tea rooms to hear the instruments.1
In 1911, Maud purchased 41 Church Street and six months later moved into her new premises having had a new shop specially built. It was called ‘Glenrock Refreshments Room’.2 It claimed to cater for the public in ‘city style’ offering public and private dining rooms, the usual confectionery, fruit and pastry but with the addition of a cool drinks fountain and oysters.3
By 1914, Maud’s menu grew to include ham, eggs, hot pies and coffee every night reflecting society’s changing tastes.4 In November 1914 a kerosene lamp was upset and a minor fire damaged a wall and some stock.5 Two months later Maud sold her business (not building) to Emerson Anderson who continued to run the restaurant and fruit and refreshments business.6
Maud and her husband moved to Campbelltown and she sold the property to Emerson and Peter Anderson in 1919.7 They became known as the Anderson Brothers.8
Author: Janine Roberts
1 Gloucester Advocate, 23 May 1908, 4 advertising and 19 December 1908, 4, advertising.
2 NSW Land Registry Services Book-No: 929-881; Gloucester Advocate, 18 December 1915, 2.
3 Gloucester Advocate, 2 September 1911, 9.
4 Gloucester Advocate, 24 June 1914, 1.
5 Gloucester Advocate, 25 November 1914, 2.
6 Gloucester Advocate, 20 January 1915, 2.
7 NSW Land Registry Services Book-No: 1166-222.
8 Gloucester Advocate, 24 September 1946, 3.