‘Dan Bros’ was one of the businesses conducted in Kendall’s new building at 61-65 Church Street, Gloucester which opened December 1936.1 The brothers of Lebanese background were Wadih Amin, Toufic ‘George’ Amin and Nicholas Dan and they conducted their mercery and drapery businesses in both Taree and Gloucester.2 Wadih had established the business in Gloucester around 1929 and up until the new shop opened in 1936 had been the brother living and working in Gloucester. That same year Wadih married Chrissie Julia Idour and they moved to Taree to live.3 This is when George Dan moved to Gloucester to run the shop. In 1939 the Dan Bros dissolved their partnership and Wadih retained the Taree shop while George held the Gloucester shop.4 Nicholas operated his own shop in Manning Street, Taree.
In 1941 there was a fire next door to Kendall’s Building and Mrs Banks’ two wooden shops were burnt to the ground. Kendall’s shops fared very well though the plate glass window in George Dan’s shop was broken with the heat as was the dentist’s window upstairs.5 George finally sold his drapery and mercery business to Mr R W Harpley in 1952 after 22 years of business.6 Harpley continued the business for 2 years before selling it to Noel Sansom in March 1954.7 Sansoms continued the business for decades afterwards, and now in 2019 it is Gooch’s real estate.8
Author: Janine Roberts
1 Gloucester Advocate, 24 December 1936, 2.
2 NSW BDM, death indexes.
3 NSW BDM, marriage index 6372/1936.
4 Gloucester Advocate, 3 March 1939, 2.
5 Gloucester Advocate, 28 February 1941, 2.
6 Gloucester Advocate, 25 November 1952, 2.
7 Gloucester Advocate, 23 March 1954, 5.
8 Gloucester Main Street Heritage Study 1996, GLOU.036.