In 1937 George Harold Matthewson, a well-known stock and station auctioneer in Gloucester, built new premises for his next venture – a car and farm machinery sales centre. The front section of the building had a lobby, office and showroom for the display of cars. The adjoining back section which was added a couple of months later, displayed farm machinery and Alfa Separators,1 of which Matthewson & Co were agents. There was a roller door between the two sections of the building which when opened created one big showroom. The building opened for business early 1938.2
In May 1939, Matthewson drove into town in a brand new ‘Vauxhall 14 for 1939’ which he had purchased at a General Motors Holden Convention in Sydney. Matthewson was by then an authorised local dealer for General Motors Holden Ltd.3 The business was later continued by son John Matthewson.4
After G H Matthewson’s death in 1952,5 the property was sold to Dalgety’s Properties and later to the Returned Services League of Australia (NSW branch) which met here before the Services Club was later built at 32 Denison Street.6 The RSL then sold to the Council of the Shire of Gloucester in June 1982.7
On 26 July 1982, the Gloucester Shire Library was officially opened by the Treasurer of NSW at 27 Denison Street.8 The building was updated in 2018 with a $172,000 makeover and officially reopened 27 August 2018.9 In 2019, the building houses the Gloucester Branch of MidCoast Library at the back and the Visitor Information Centre at the front.
Author: Janine Roberts
1 This probably refers to the product ‘Alfa-Laval Cream Separators’.
2 Gloucester Advocate, 23 December 1937, 2.
3 Gloucester Advocate, 5 May 1939, 2; Gloucester Shire Council rates 1938-50.
4 Gloucester Advocate, 9 October 1953, 1.
5 NSW BDM, 9948/1952.
6 Gloucester Advocate, 23 November 1954; NSW Land Registry Services Vol-Fol: 4913-134.
7 NSW Land Registry Services Vol-Fol: 4913-134.
8 Plaque on the library building at 27 Denison Street, Gloucester
9 Gloucester Advocate, 22 August 2018.