In the early 1900s the owners of one of the first trucks in Strathcedar, were Royden and Florence Newell. This truck was used for the mail run, taking cream to the factory, taking people, deliveries and supplies to and from Wingham, and many other things.
Royden and Florence’s property joined another property, a beef run on the eastern boundary owned by the Woollards.1 The Woollards had two grown boys, Ken and Charlie.2 As the Wingham Show was coming up and Ken and Charlie wanted to go, they walked over to the Newells and approached Royden about using his truck to take them in.
Royden, only having one good leg, the other being wooden, having lost part of it in a cricket ball accident, saw an opportunity to get a fence done that needed doing. He suggested to Ken and Charlie that if they put up a short piece of fence, he would take them to the Show. The boys got stuck into putting up that fence, and Royden, satisfied, kept his word and took them into the Wingham Show afterwards.
That short piece of fence is still standing.
Author: Robin Sheppard
1 NSW LRS Volume 7335-246.
2 NSW BDM – Births 41979/1907 and 43496/1909.