Peter and Dawn Calvin were proud owners of the first television in Taree. Owners of Calvin’s Electrical at 70 Manning Street (now 34 Manning Street), Taree they proudly showed off this technology to the Taree community in the early 1960s.1
Living behind the shop, they offered the television for everyone to enjoy. Dawn remembers that a high aerial was installed on the roof and they could only receive broadcasts at night being aired from Sydney. It was a bit hit and miss, as some nights no reception could be received.
The television was in the showroom. At night it was turned around to face the large shop windows. On the footpath in front of the shop people would gather to watch the television. Debra and Grant Calvin (aged 6 and 4 at the time), sat in their pyjamas inside, while the crowd gathered outside.
Dawn recalls that Ron Reed (furniture removalist) would park his truck out the front, providing seating for on-watchers. On some nights up to 25 people would gather to see this new phenomenon.
The television was an AWA brand and was in a wooden frame on legs. It was approximately 50cm wide and deep and stood 70cm high.2
Calvin’s Electrical closed in 1969. The Reject Shop is now located where the shop once stood (2018).
Author: Sue Calvin
1 NSW Land Registry Services, Bk-No: 3035-271, Section 5, Lot 11, Manning Street, Taree; Government Gazette of the State of NSW, 25 August 1961; Manning River Times, 8 July 1950.
2 Interview notes with Mrs Dawn Calvin, June 2018.